A home is usually a lifelong investment that needs routine preventative maintenance to have its systems running safely and efficiently. Without the right maintenance, your home will not only lose its value but lead you to incur substantial costs over time.
A seasonal home inspection checklist and professional advice will help you smoothly navigate your home's maintenance year around.
Seasonal Home Maintenance Checklist
Splitting up home maintenance tasks according to the season can help distribute costs and manage time better so that you don’t get overwhelmed. Here is a handy seasonal home maintenance checklist, customized for beginners to make their home maintenance task more doable.
- Replace batteries and check carbon monoxide detectors
- Have HVAC inspected
- Examine house and electric lines for any obstruction from foliage
- Deep clean the entire house
- Inspect water drainage and gutters
- Clean or restore deck or patio
- Inspect the roof for any leaks or defects
- Ensure that no openings or extension cords are laden with electronics
- Get your home's crawlspace checked for damage
- Vacuum refrigerator coils
- Inspect for insect activity
- Clean or change your HVAC air filter
- Replace batteries/examine carbon monoxide and smoke detectors
- Schedule furnace inspection and change furnace filter
- Winterize your A/C
- Drain water from outdoor water faucets
- Insulate exposed pipes as needed
- Inspect chimney and fireplace for damage or hazards
- Inspect and flush out the water heater for removing debris
- Have your sidewalks and driveways clear of ice and snow
- Check your home's crawlspace for any damage
- Review your home’s exterior regularly
- Clean furnace filter
- Review carbon monoxide and smoke detectors
It’s essential to keep up with the various moving parts in your home. With a few basic periodic home maintenances tasks, you can save considerably on home repair costs. This seasonal home inspection checklist will help you identify steps you can consider each season. Also, hiring a professional home inspector will help you remain stress-free and on top of things.